Psychosocial Program and Educational DVD
GSF established a psychosocial program in order to increase multidisciplinary and comprehensive cleft care provided on missions. The development and integration of a family-centered care concept of healthcare, educational information, and preoperative preparation program will help to further the mission of GSF to provide exceptional, comprehensive care to patients around the world.
- This unique psychosocial education and preparation-based program includes:
- Educational information on the conditions of cleft lip and palate
- Nutritional information and counseling
- Understanding the role of GSF in each country
- Preparation video for pediatric and adult patients prior to surgery
- Perioperative preparation program: Medical play and psychosocial counseling techniques to reduce preoperative anxiety for pediatric and adult patients.
The perioperative DVD can be shown in English, Spanish, and French and includes topics such as cleft causality, feeding/nutrition, perioperative information, surgical preparation, and postoperative care. The DVD is shown to families on screening day and prior to surgery.
The psychosocial program and DVD will help to decrease anxiety and increase comfort in the hospital environment, providing educational information for children and families on each mission.