Mission VideoClick here for a short overview of what GSF does on its week-long cleft missions!
Guayaquil is Ecuador's main port and is also the largest city in the country. It has a population of over 3 million people, yet access to medical care is very limited. GSF has run all of its successful missions in collaboration with Hospital Leon Becerra, Prefecto Jimmy Jairala and La Prefectura del Guayas, and the fantastic local medical community.
(From GSF's most recent mission — March 6-14, 2015)
2015 marked the 28th consecutive year that GSF has been serving the people of Guayaquil, Ecuador. The mission in March was a great success, allowing us to continue to build and grow our partnership with Fundación Global Smile Ecuador, La Prefectura del Guayas, and our Ecuadorian medical colleagues.
In total, GSF has completed 1,087 dental and surgical procedures in Guayaquil in 2015.
2014 Cleft Mission Statistics
- 123 patients screened
- Seeing over 50 long term follow up patients
- 45 total procedures
- 8 Cleft Lip Repairs
- 11 Cleft Lip Revisions
- 15 Cleft Palate Repairs
- 4 Cleft Palate Revisions
- 6 Cleft Lip Rhinoplasties
- 1 Osteotomy
- 1,700 Dental procedures performed
- 1,000 Exams and Cleanings
- 500 Sealants
- 16 Extractions
- 1 Prosthetic Created
- GSF Ecuador currently as 5 health care providers trained in Nasoalveolar Molding (NAM)
- 20 NAM patients came to get screened by GSF, and 4 underwent surgery on this mission based on meeting criteria for health and age.
- Overall, 85 patients have been treated in the Craniofacial Center at Leon Becerra over the past two years.
- Officially staffed comprehensive Cleft Team at Leon Becerra Hospital made up of:
- Plastic Surgery
- Pediatric Dentistry
- Speech Therapy
- Nutrition and Psychology