Support Healthy New Smiles
Our Bamako Story
Mali, the largest country in West Africa, is famous for its vibrant music and is considered one of Africa’s liveliest intellectual centers. Unfortunately, its health and development indicators are among the worst in the world. Poverty, malnutrition, and inadequate sanitation continue to put the population at risk for various health problems. The capital city, Bamako, is currently estimated to be the fastest growing city in Africa. Global Smile Foundation has completed two successful missions to Mali, operating out of Gabriel Toure Hospital in Bamako.
2009 Mission Statistics
The last mission to Bamako, Mali was October 23-30, 2009. The GSF team included:
- 14 medical personnel (surgeons, anesthesiologists, and nurses)
- 1 pediatric dentist
- 1 mission coordinator
- 2 local coordinators and 6 local translators
- 2 US Embassy volunteers
- 85 patients screened
- 46 corrective surgical procedures performed, including 38 cleft lips
- 63 dental procedures performed
- Total of 109 surgical and dental procedures performed
Copyright © 2017 Global Smile Foundation, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.