San Salvador, El Salvador
Our San Salvador Story
El Salvador is a country known for its beautiful beaches, mountains and volcanoes. It currently has a steadily growing economy, but natural disasters such as earthquakes and hurricanes have hindered its progress. El Salvador is among the most impoverished countries in Latin America.
95% of the children born with cleft deformities in El Salvador live in impoverished conditions. They cannot afford, access, and often do not attempt to receive cleft treatment. Hospital Nacional de Niños Benjamin Bloom of San Salvador, El Salvador is the only hospital that treats children with clefts. With its limited resources, this children’s hospital can only attend to approximately 150 patients per year, while the number of cleft babies increases annually by 600. In response to a significant need, The Global Smile Foundation travels to San Salvador to perform corrective cleft lip and microtia procedures, as well as pediatric dental procedures.
Benjamin Bloom Children’s Hospital
- The only children’s hospital in El Salvador
- The publicly funded Bloom Hospital offers a variety of services for patients including oncology, craniofacial, and dental.
- In 2012 Bloom Hospital finished its seven year, $50 million project building a state-of-the-art Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU).
(From GSF’s most recent mission — January 2016)
GSF recently returned from another very successful mission in San Salvador, El Salvador. This was the 13th mission for our volunteers to El Salvador since 2006. The mission was generously sponsored by Fundacion Sagrera Palomo, Gente Ayudando Gente, Kiwanis Club Los Robles, various Salvadorian NGOs, members of the Parliament, and other generous individuals.
GSF partnered with Hospital de Niños Benjamin Bloom and Salvadoran colleagues to provide the highest quality, multidisciplinary cleft care. GSF also worked with students from Colegio Los Robles and Escuela Americana.
Our Comprehensive Cleft Care Team
- 5 GSF Surgeons
- 4 Anesthesiologists
- 3 OR Nurses
- 3 PACU Nurses
- 1 Pediatrician
- 1 Peri-Op Nurse
- 1 Speech Therapist
- 2 El Salvadorian Coordinators
- 1 Photographer
- 4 GSF Admins
- 1 VPI Admin
- Translators from Escuela Americana & Colegio Los Robles
Surgical Procedures Performed
- 70 patients screened
- 70 Anesthesia and Pediatric Consultations
- 30 Cleft Procedures
- 13 Cleft Lip Repairs
- 6 Cleft Lip/Nasal Revisions
- 9 Cleft Palate Repairs
- 1 Bone Graft
- 1 Repair of Craniofacial Cleft
- 85 Speech Therapy Consultations
- 5 VPI Scopes
Copyright © 2017 Global Smile Foundation, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.