Our Macapá Story
Macapá is a large city located near the mouth of the Amazon River that serves as the economic hub of the state of Amapá, Brazil. It has few roads and is better accessed by land or sea. The Global Smile Foundation team first collaborated with São Camilo Hospital in 2016 where they found the need for cleft care is great. GSF’s Surgical Director, Dr. Fernando Almas, continues to travel to the hospital once a month for 5 days to provide surgical care and lectures for local staff as well.
São Camilo Hospital
- A private hospital that serves Macapá City and Amapá State.
- The staff consists of a comprehensive team who actively collaborate with international medical teams
- Provides a full range of clinical, surgical, preventative, and 24/7 emergency services.
(From GSF’s most recent mission — October 7-16, 2017)
- 20 patients screened
- 20 Anesthesia & Pediatric exams
- 18 Cleft Lip surgeries performed
- 2 Lectures given with 150 students reached
- 183 procedures performed since June 2016
- 400 more patients waiting for surgeries
- Collaboration with the local university, IMMES, where Dr. Fernando serves as coordinator for the Cleft Center and Outreach Programs
- Lectures delivered monthly
- Teaching classes on outreach programs monthly
Our Comprehensive Cleft Care Team
- 6 Surgeons
- 3 Anesthesiologists
- 2 OR Nurses
- 3 PACU Nurses
- 1 Pediatrician
- 3 Coordinators
- 1 Photographer
- October 7-16th, 2016
Copyright © 2017 Global Smile Foundation, Inc.
All Rights Reserved.