Our Bamako Story
Mali, the largest country in West Africa, is famous for its vibrant music and is considered one of Africa’s liveliest intellectual centers. Unfortunately, its health and development indicators are among the worst in the world. Poverty, malnutrition, and inadequate sanitation continue to put the population at risk for various health problems. The capital city, Bamako, is currently estimated to be the fastest growing city in Africa. Global Smile Foundation has completed two successful missions to Mali, operating out of Gabriel Toure Hospital in Bamako.
Most Recent Trip: 2009
The last mission to Bamako, Mali was October 23-30, 2009.
- 85 patients screened
- 46 corrective surgical procedures performed, including 38 cleft lips
- 63 dental procedures performed
- Total of 109 surgical and dental procedures performed
The GSF Team
- 14 medical personnel (surgeons, anesthesiologists, and nurses)
- 1 pediatric dentist
- 1 mission coordinator
- 2 local coordinators and 6 local translators
- 2 US Embassy volunteers